Friday, 11 January 2008

Exams, Cricket etc

I've become very bored and too comfortable in the middle of the exams. I liked my subjects while I was studying them, I was excited, but now that the exams are here they have become a drag. I fail to see how performance in an exam can be a good criterion for judging a masters level student's aptitude for research, and they are certainly a HUGE waste of time for all concerned, so I'm very surprised to find the intense, lengthy exam periods these people in Belgium have. I am keen to get done with them as soon as possible and get on to the next semester of learning. I am quite disappointed to find that "careless mistakes" are still very much a part of me, and my math exam which could so easily have been a triumph has left me feeling quite disappointed and a little bit helpless. To be honest, at least some of the lack of focus that might have resulted in the mistakes I made will have to be attributed to my excessive involvement in the tumultuous exploits of the Indian Cricket Team.

There have been reams and reams written about the Sydney match, and I have soaked it all up. I have read every blog, every article and followed every comment and its aftermath. I have seen all the videos on youtube and I have reached the conclusion that the whole matter is too obvious to comment on, and that I have nothing to add to the huge body of material already published (and indeed, is still being published). But, I do support the Indian team, not just because they are the Indian team and the underdogs but because most of them are gentlemen worth emulating in many respects.

I do wish they'd come up with some steely performances and win though. I miss India !


Update (20-01-2008) - Yesterday, they did exactly that ! A magnificent win at Perth !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"But, I do support the Indian team, not just because they are the Indian team and the underdogs but because most of them are gentlemen worth emulating in many respects."

gentlemen worth emulating? really? why?
i an't for the life of me see such a fine side to them.

Psmith said...

I'm surprised you're saying that. Surely you'll agree that Sachin Tandulkar Kumble, Laxman (to name but the most obvious candidates) are quite remarkable not just in the brilliance of their game but also the impeccable grace with which they have carried themselves for the entire time they have been under the harsh (almost cruel) spotlight of Indian public life, and thats a period of 18 years for Sachin, close to that for Kumble and well over a decade for Laxman.

Few countries have produced so many gentlemen playing such brilliant cricket at the same time !